. .

Home built in 1874 catches fire from gas heater

Firefighters will remain at the scene of a fire in Melbourne’s east overnight, after a 141-year-old family home went up in flames on Saturday.
Nanjing Night Net

Fire crews were called to the Hayward Court home in Vermont about 3.40pm.

The homeowner’s son had been inside when wood being dried with a gas blow heater outside caused the verandah to catch alight.

The man, in his 30s, discovered the fire after getting out of the shower. He tried to extinguish the blaze and suffered minor burns requiring hospital treatment.

Firefighters arrived to find the single-storey timber house, built in 1874, engulfed in flames.

About 30 firefighters battled for 50 minutes to bring the blaze under control.

Two other family members were not home at the time.

The roof of the house has partially collapsed and the building structure will be evaluated by a surveyor from the Whitehorse City Council.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.