. .

Waratahs move to third after big win

HANG TIME: Waratahs second rower Matt Meggison takes the ball out of the line out as the Wagga club smashes Griffith at Conolly Rugby Complex on Saturday. Picture: Kieren L Tilly
Nanjing Night Net

Waratahs continued theircharge up the Southern Inland ladder following a 47-point pumping of Griffith at Conolly Rugby Complex.

The win sees the two club switch places, with Waratahs moving into third following a fifth consecutive win.

This seasonthe difference between athird or fourth is a second chance during the finals, and Waratahs coach Will Mitchell believesit’s the team’s attitude in defence that has helped turnaround their year.

‘Tahs dominated an understrength Blacks forward pack in scrums and line outs to help set the the win over the reigning premiers.

Jock Munro took over the throwing duties from an ill James Daley and didn’t miss a beat asthe Wagga club sent another message to their premier division rivals.

Although he thought it was was scrappy at times, Mitchellwas impressed they only let in 10 points against a team with plenty of weapons.

“It’s more the 10 points we are happy about, they are a very good attacking side and to only concede one try is probably the best part of it,”Mitchell said.

“We were a man down (when they scored) but when we can hold then out for eight, nine phases it might be the next phase were they drop the ball.It just creates pressure and I think our boys are really starting to enjoy defence, which they need to.”

Griffith’s only try, scored by Hay’s Manning Doughty came after the Blacks were camped on the ‘Tahs’line.

After giving away four penalties and having Munro sin binned for a deliberate ruckinfringement, the Waratahs’ line finally cracked.

Munrowas yellow carded just as Blacks fullback Vaea Mateo was coming back on after being given his marching orders on the stroke of half-time.

Waratahs’ scrum dominance was key to their first try when won a Blacks feed before spinning the ball out wide for Morgan Jones to score the first of two tries.

Ten minutes later Soni Saleopelu kicked a penalty goal to reduce the margin to two points.

Before a tryto Steve Tracey helped Waratahs to a 15-3 lead at the break.

Waratahs struck seconds after the break when Sam Palmer scored off some strong work from Tim Corcoran and Jones before the Blacks hit back.

Jones scored again before an inside ball from Cororcan put his centres partner Matt Shortis over before the points continued to flow freely.

Waratahs are now three points ahead of Griffith but still 10 in arrears of Leeton, their opponents next week.


WARATAHS 57 (M Shortis 2, M Jones 2, C Murray, J Munro, S Palmer, S Tracey tries; E Bonner 7 cons, pen) d GRIFFITH 10 (M Doughty try; S Saleopelu con, pen)

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.